Friday, October 30, 2020

MICROS AGAIN

 

Anyway, so once again, dipping my toes into the Micro Novel Pool. I was scrolling down the blogs to see the first time I'd done one of these only to discover I'd never actually done Micro novels on the blog 'til the last blog. Sweet Jesus, I must have started those on MySpace, or Facebook Notes, or some similar sinking ship......

As such I'm kicking off with an oldie. This is one of my favorites.



EXISTENTIALISTS AGAINST NEUROPATHY



A Micro Novel 



Neil tore across the second floor hallway. “Fuck this shit,” he roared, “I’ll take on all comers!!!!” He flung himself headlong down the stairs. It was a good day to be alive.




The rest are new:




FIVE STUPID TURKEYS DROWNING IN THE RAIN


A Micro Novel


It wasn't a move of great intellect, but you had to give me points for ambition as I scaled the levels of the queen to access that small stack of glass bowls & then lost my footing and went careening to the floor....careening? Carombing? Either way it was one helluva rush....the glass bowls went carombing (carooming, maybe?) off to the side and I think they may have broken....to make things worse the plastic pitchers rained down on me, bonk, bonk, bonk, all off my noggin.

Monique picked me up with her strong, sturdy arms and sat me up, asking if I was okay. I tried to be all nonchalant & I may have been concussed. Mild concussion, maybe? Yeah, I think so.

“I'll have to figure that out later,” I told her, “I think my brain's in the butter right now.” And I laughed & she laughed & we kissed.




REVALATION ACCORDING TO CHARLES


A Micro-Pseudo-Gospel


Some rank amateur on AM Radio callously supposed one day we as a species might all blow ourselves to Kingdom Come in a nuclear war, well, buddy, that's my reality day in day out, no joke. Every morning me and my brother strap on our power packs and head out the door with our ray guns and we spend all day firing nuclear rays at people and objects. I mean, we clock in, power up the guns, spend the whole day skulking around the ruins shooting rays and then, after about a twelve hour day we punch our cards and go home, eat beef stew, etc. Rough days. The apocalypse is really that banal.

You should see the shopping centers. They're in warehouses that are only open two or three hours a day---randos set up stalls as they can grab them and everyone gets to haggle over what's left. One guy had a couple of lobsters. Real, according to Hoyle lobsters. I've already got a battalion of testy ocelots. I don't need any pets. Someone needed lobsters, though, I'll betcha. Someone always needs something.

They have upside down bowling alleys, it's nut, I don't know how they do it. The lanes are all on the ceiling, they're all lined with blue and white neon. Folks are up there in the middle of everything, rolling balls around, knocking over pins that fall up. I dunno....anti-gravity fields, or something.

I have seen the future, skeezix, and you're not gonna like it.  





GURVITZ (An introduction)


A Micro Overture


About eight cars from two towns, plus the feds, pulled up outside the bungalow. Right away it felt like no place anyone actually lived.

We'd all taken our places by the cars and hadn't yet gotten our shit together when people started moving out the front door---the perp, on his knees, pushed forward by Gurwitz and the other kid, what was his name? Nally. Gurwitz, I mean, right from the outset, is pistol whipping the guy, and it's terrible. You're not going to get a confession out of a guy if you knock all the stuffing out his noggin, and Christ forbid his damn lawyer's on the scene, right?

But Gurwitz keeps pistol whipping the guy, and the guy almost seems to be laughing at the whole thing......stunned, I guess, maybe concussed. Nally's not doing a goddamn thing, he's coming down the steps with his arms at his sides, watching the whole thing. Anyways, so there's this whole pull-apart and they cuff the guy and start reading him his rights, and as far as I can tell he was lucid enough to understand it....everyone kept having to hold Gurwitz back and he collapses into a pile, weeping like a baby, and he just keeps saying, “the bodies, all the bodies, Jesus Christ, the bodies”...

So we went inside.


Copyright 2020, Molotov Editions   


That last one is to be continued, obviously. You'll see.

     The rest of the year, obviously, is dedicated to finishing two books. Seeya on the flip, assuming we don't all die. Screw it----it don't matter....



THIS WEEK'S PLAYLIST:

1. MO' HEVY CRUD: THE SEQUEL STRIKES BACK (comp)

2. TRICK OR TREAT: MUSIC TO SCARE YOUR NEIGHBORS-Vintage 45s from Lux & Ivy's Basement

3. ALICE COOPER-PARANORMAL

4. SNFKR (homemade comp) 





No comments:

Post a Comment